I find it very annoying every time I look at my watch and see scratches all over it. At one glance, it’s not that obvious but as I stare at it, it’s there. I tired wiping it with a lint free cloth and toothpaste but it didn’t work. I hate going back to where I bought it because it takes a lot of my time going there and having it cleaned. I searched the Internet on ways how to clean my watch and get rid of those annoying scratches. Thank God for the Internet. I saw hundreds of sites teaching you how to remove scratches. I even read one telling me to use toothpaste, I thought I was the only one using this style.
I want to share with you what worked for my watch. Read on as I give you step-by-step process on how you can clean your wristwatch especially if it’s an expensive one.
- First off, I have learned through experience that reading your wristwatch manual pays a lot. So let me suggest that before you touch your favorite timepiece, read your manual and check all angles. Check if it’s still under warranty or will it void your warranty should you touch it on your own.
- Prepare a soft towel or a lint free cloth. Make sure that it doesn’t have any dust particle or anything that would scratch it even more. You don’t want your watch to look like a glass with a wig right?
- Use a jeweler’s rouge powder with warm water. Check with your jeweler if you can purchase this powder from them. I got mine from a hardware store. You can also go online and purchase this compound.
- This buffing compound mixed with warm water will form a paste that you can use in buffing your watch. Apply this on the glass and rub it in a circular motion using a cotton ball or a cotton swab. Rub it continuously in one direction. Let this paste sit on the watch for 8-10 minutes.
- Before removing the paste, mix ½ oz. of ammonia with 2 cups water and spray it on top of the watch and as you wet the whole face, gently wipe it clean with your cloth until paste and ammonia is already wiped out.
I was able to remove the scratched on my Omega Watch and I know you will be able to remove yours as well. Follow these guidelines and make sure that you check your watch manual first.